Benchmarking 111.111.111.158 (be patient) Completed 10000 requests <-
isn't 10,000 the default limit of the state table? That sure would
explain a lot.

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Zaitsev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 12:56 PM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Network Device pooling

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 12:03 -0500, Scott Ullrich wrote:
> Please describe the hardware your using fully.  NICS, etc.   This is
> not normal behavior.

Sure It is Dell Poweredge 750
512MB RAM,  SATA150 disk, Celeron 2.4Ghz

ACPI APIC Table: <DELL   PE750   >
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz (2400.10-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE
,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4400<CNTX-ID,<b14>>
real memory  = 536608768 (511 MB)
avail memory = 515547136 (491 MB)

Nics are build in Intel 10/100/1000 NICs:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 2.1.7> port
0xece0-0xecff mem 0xfe1e0000-0xfe1fffff irq 18 at device 1.0 on pci1
em0: Ethernet address: 00:14:22:0a:64:4c
em0:  Speed:N/A  Duplex:N/A

It does not looks like this is hardware issue for me as if I disable
firewall it works fine.

I tried turning off scrub and it does not change anything. Still timeout
after few requests:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp> ./ab2 -n 100000 http://111.111.111.158/
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.0.41-dev <$Revision: 1.121.2.12 $>
apache-2.0
Copyright (c) 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd,
http://www.zeustech.net/
Copyright (c) 1998-2002 The Apache Software Foundation,
http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 111.111.111.158 (be patient)
Completed 10000 requests
apr_poll: The timeout specified has expired (70007)

> On 10/31/05, Peter Zaitsev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 23:14 +0100, Espen Johansen wrote:
> > > Hi Peter,
> > >
> > > I have seen you have done a lot of testing with apache
benchmarking.
> > > I find it a little strange to use this as a test. Basically you
will hit the
> > > roof of standing I/O operations because you introduce latency with
pfsense.
> > > The lower the latency the more finished tasks/connections per time
unit.
> > > Most people don't take this into consideration when they tune
apache.
> > > Although, this is one of the most important aspects of web-server
tuning.

> > Espen,
> >
> > If you would see to the set of my emails you would see the growing
> > latency with network pooling is not my concern, as well as well as
> > dropping throughput with pfsense in the middle - it is all
> > understandable.
> >
> > What is NOT ok however is the stall  (20+ seconds) when CPU usage on
> > pfsense drops almost to  zero and no traffics come on connections.
> > Sometimes it causes apache benchmark to abort sometimes just shows
crazy
> > response times.
> >
> > This does not happen in direct benchmark (no pfsense in the middle)
or