I have to say that I don't necessarily agree with
the statement.  I have had it working on EXACTLY
the same system(s) w/ the same cable before, but
to satisfy my curiosity and that of those out
there ... I just tried a db9 to db9 null-modem
cable to no avail ...

I just went so far as to setup a Cisco router w/
reverse telnet so I could monitor what was comming
off from the pfSense serial port (set for COM1 in
the BIOS .. BTW, as has always been), and see no
bits at all comming from the serial device
(pfSense).

I am very familiar w/ DTE/DCE communications ...
worked many years w/ ISPs and modem banks and
mainframe comms ... not my first exposure to or w/
DTE/DCE comms or null-modem communications.

My concern is that it worked before w/ a flat roll
over (Cisco) cable ... and you are in fact correct
Bill, MOST serial comms between active devices
require 2/3x .... but since trying to set this up
in 0.84,5,6.x and having had to use a roll-over
cable to get it to work (I did try a null-modem
way back when I first set this system up, but
couldn't get it to work w/ that connection scema).

My suspect is that there has been some handy work
on the serial setup in FreeBSD at the OS level
.... don't know that for sure .. not real
litterate w/ BSDs .. I know a fair bit from the
*NIX (Solaris, Linux, AIX) world, but certainly
not as up to speed in the FreeBSD realm.

I've been pouring over the FreeBSD site for KBs on
different serial port configs and there seems to
be a fair bit of config you can do to a serial
interface as is there in the NIX realm.

I don't know what else to say .... but I keep
looking and contribute where I can.

Regards,

--
DLStrout

> Not sure I saw what type of hardware you had

two Dell GX260's.

> Straight through cables are usually used to
connect PC's

depands on the "setup/programming" of the serial
interface in the OS.