D=/here/is/the/jail
     cd /usr/src
     mkdir -p $D
     make world DESTDIR=$D
     make distribution DESTDIR=$D
     mount_devfs devfs $D/dev

is a more correct way to build your environment prpoerly

also look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf | grep jail for autostarting a proper
jail environment
_____MY rc.conf_______________
jail_enable="YES"        # Set to YES to disable starting of any jails
jail_list="pfsense"            # Space separated list of names of jails
jail_set_hostname_allow="YES" # Allow root user in a jail to change its
hostname
jail_socket_unixiproute_only="YES" # Route only TCP/IP within a jail
jail_sysvipc_allow="YES" # Allow SystemV IPC use from within a jail
jail_pfsense_rootdir="/usr/jails/pfsense"
jail_pfsense_hostname="pfsense.devel.optimlabs.com"
jail_pfsense_ip="192.168.2.13"
jail_pfsense_devfs_enable="YES"
jail_pfsense_mount_enable="YES"
jail_pfsense_exec_start="/bin/sh /etc/rc"
jail_pfsense_exec_stop="/bin/sh /etc/rc.shutdown"
jail_pfsense_fdescfs_enable="YES"               # mount fdescfs in the
jail
jail_pfsense_flags="-l -U root"                # flags for jail(8)
jail_pfsense_procfs_enable="YES"                # mount procfs in jail