I have two machines set up with 0.93.2, each with 3 NICS, OPT is bridged to
WAN and handles a small DMZ.  CARP synchronization happens on the LAN
interface.

I configured CARP failover as per the tutorial and found that while the
rules and configuration changes are synching properly, the backup firewall
does not show a CARP Interface or a Status message for either of the virtual
IP addresses.  Additional to this, machines in my DMZ, sensitive to ARP
changes are losing connectivity to the outside world.  I know that other
people claim to be using CARP in failover mode without drama, so I'm a
little confused as to what could be causing this problem.  Is there a step
not covered in the tutorial I should be doing?

Are there any other relevant pieces of information that I can provide which
might shed some light onto why this configuration is causing horrible to be
spewed across my network?