Just a real-life example:

I have an IPSEC-Mesh between several locations. Each location has it's own VoIP
PBX. The PBXs don't talk to each other unless there is a call. If the tunnel is
down and you try to call a phone at the distant PBX you get a busy before the
tunnel is up (tunnel needs longer to establish than the timeout of the VOIP).
The second call then is working as the tunnel was brought up because of the
first try which failed. There is other traffic from sublocations to main
location only (keeping tunnels from sublocations to mainlocation up, no mesh
traffic) but VOIP is going directly from one location to the other through a
different tunnel between the two locations (which goes down if there are not
calls from time to time).

Solutions:
- adding cronjobs manually (but they don't get backed up with config.xml, so
exchanging/restoring the router needs recalling this settings)
- using a server in sublocations subnets doing the ping

Holger