FWIW, the Nexcom 1030's that I have work wonderfully on the embedded
image (which already does serial console).  The only thing I had to do
was swap the COM ports on the motherboard, by default the external
serial (on the 1030) is cabled to COM2.  BIOS redirection still worked
(up until you get to the OS), so it took a while to figure out what
was wrong.

BTW, some of their units have a minipci slot, they might make a useful
(if a hair large at 19") access point (or point to point bridge) as
they have real CPUs on them :)

--Bill