Subject: [pfSense Support] default gateway on LAN ???
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: support@pfsense.com
Date: 01-23-2006 4:21 pm

I have a ? / feature request. If pfS IS NOT the default GW on the LAN then I suppose that the only way to direct all traffic out the "REAL/PRIMARY" GW is to enter a static route for the LAN subnet to an alternate IP address (that of the default GW for the LAN).

I would be nice to have a default GW field for the LAN interface that builds a static route for this type of seniaro (of course if you leave it blank then NO static would be created and pfS would be the defacto default GW for LAN subnet).

I think that this would be a real nice feature addition for those who are adding pfS to their already existing LAN, for say a dedicated test platform, or dedicated VPN concentrator .... or a plethora of other reasons.

ONE NOTE:
I have added the static route in the SYSTEM > STATIC ROUTES: section on various installs and have had varying luck with this setup. I have seen it work fine and then do an upgrade and then it breaks the "rules" and the system will NOT stop throwing up the "rules.debug" error. After deleteing the static route all settled down and the system stabilized. As I said, this ONLY happened on some upgrades (mostly in the 0.9x vers). Maybe there was some underlying issue w/ pf / BSD ... I'm not sure .... I never troubleshot it further than deleting the static route and resuming normal operation.

Just thought that this would be a real nice (and VERY handy) feature addition to pfS ... as long as it doesn't break anything. And can be accomplished w/ BSDs' pf.

Regards,
--
David L. Strout
Engineering Systems Plus, LLC