On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Bill Marquette wrote:

On 1/23/06, Charles Sprickman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Just as another datapoint, I had 640kb/s in for a 768kb/s adsl upload.
I've backed it down to 600kb/s, which is probably overkill.  SSH still
gets laggy when a bulk upload is going on.  VoIP MOS score goes from 4.3
to 3.0 with a bulk upload as well.

Don't forget that the 768K that you're provider is telling you
includes the transport overhead.

I am the provider. :)

PPPOE and ATM frames do eat up a non-zero amount of bandwidth.

No PPPoE here, but I know on a 45 Mb/s ATM backhaul for DSL it tops out at 36Mb/s of actual traffic once you strip out the atm overhead. There's also some nasties with VoIP and ATM - turning 64 byte packets into 53 byte cells is wasteful.

The wizard was (and now does) supposed to remove 20% from whatever value you give it which puts you at 614K. 20% loss seems a little extreme, but it's not horrible when your SSH sessions barely slowdown during a download/upload. Part of the 20% is also so that it can buffer traffic bursts before forwarding on.

I'll crank down further and see what happens. For now should I assume that the queue monitor is possibly showing somewhat bogus data? When I'm on a call and not doing anything else, I see the traffic in the default queues.

Best results will come from pfSense at both sides of a link
controlling traffic flow, but it does a pretty good job even with just
one leg.

Luckily I can play with both directions, but yeah, contrary to what many folks say, you can work on inbound traffic as long as it's tcp.

Also, I'll ask my bpf question again:  Is there a simple way to get bpf
enabled on a pfsense box so I can do tcpdump analysis directly on the
firewall?  If I had a pfsense kernel config file, I assume I could just
build a kernel elsewhere and move it over, right?

I didn't see the first question, but tcpdump works just fine on
pfSense (we use it for pulling the logs off pflog0).  And I'm
frequently making use of it for troubleshooting.

Well, I'm just a moron. I wasn't root and tcpdump complained about "no suitable devices".

Charles