I know this doesn't answer your question and I'm not trying to, but
I'd like to offer my opinion FWIW.  I'd attach the LAN leg from your
pfSense VPN boxes (machine 2 in each location) to a third leg on the
Internet firewall in each location and static route out it.  Sending
ICMP redirects from the primary gateway telling clients to use a
different gateway tends to be somewhat problematic.

--Bill