On 2/16/06, Colin Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I did upgrade to the latest BIOS, but I'm still
> seeing the same "Boot error" message.  This was previously running
> m0n0wall on another CF card, so it should have been all set for booting
> from flash.  It is a larger (1GB) flash card - would the info on this
> page apply to me?
>
> http://wiki.pfsense.com/wikka.php?wakka=FlashHowTo

Mostly not.  It just repeats what you already know and you don't need
to resize (assuming those directions are still correct - I suspect it
may be different now).

> I suspect that I may not be loading the image correctly.  When I mount
> the flash card in a USB reader, it shows up as a 56MB UFS partiction
> (49MB used), but there do not appear to be any files in the mounted
> directory.

Which OS?  Windows (obviously) will do "wierd" stuff - I've seen it
appear to mount the flash (even without a visible filesystem), but of
course not work.  You should see something if you mount the partitions
shown in the bsd disklabel though.

> I noticed that there were soekris-specific pfsense images at one point -
> are these no longer needed with the generic "embedded" image?  Or would

At this time, OS level upgrades aren't part of the embedded build -
upgrade images only update the php files and shell scripts.  The
embedded image did replace the soekris image which was inaccurately
named (it works on more than soekris).

My only other suggestion would be to try a smaller flash card (we only
need a 64M one) and see if that fixes the problem.  Chances are the
flash size is the problem, or you have a corrupted image.