Not sure if you've tried this, if it'll make a difference, or what
exactly it'll do, but try

"Prefer old IPsec SAs" in System->Advanced

I'm having no problems with my tunnels, pfsense-pfsense and
pfsense-nortel contivity, but they're both network tunnel configs with
static IPs, not road warrior.

--Bill