From: Tommaso Di Donato [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 3:25 AM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] Problem with ipsec tunnel

On 3/2/06, John Cianfarani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1. Even though you need to NAT for your inside hosts IPSec is listening on the WAN
interface.

I'm sorry... I cannot understand the point..

PC -------- pfSense -------- Cisco 827 ----------internet

Here I have 2 nat: pfsense is natting my pc, and CIsco is natting pfsense. Of course, in pfsense I can see racoon listening on wan interface (only on 500/udp, ton on 4500/udp)

2. Not sure but my guess would be no (without a lot of easy configuration changes)

You mean you guess there is no port 4500?

One think that was reversed in previous builds (not sure if is changed in 2-20) is the "Prefer old IPSec Sa" checkbox under System-Advnced.  Bill found that in the code pfsense already tries old sa's first, so when you check this box it will make it prefer NEW Sa's.  That was the heart of a lot of my Ipsec troubles.

mmh, I tried both  ways... no differences...

Do you have the WAN as the local endpoint and LAN Subnet as the Local subnet on each side? As I believe there still is an issue with ipsec-tools if you are trying to do host to host setup. (/32s)

Yes I have; I'm trying net-to-net. I'm so sorry I do not have my box  here in order to send logs...

What are you using as your local identified IP or FQDN?

I tried both. Obviously, changing  psk accordingly...

Once you get a session up can you do a "ping –c 5 –S <your pfsense lan ip> <remote pfsense lan ip>" from the Diag -> Command Prompt tab?

Ok, I'll do it.. For now, I am testing pinging from a pc on the lan side.

I think this night I'll do some other test, using as second endpoint a linux box (i am more familiar with linux ipsec implementation).
Ah, by the way.. when I see a SPD or  a SA established, sould something be wisible with netstat -rn?
Thank you again...

Thanks

John