On 3/15/06, Peter Curran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been asked to setup a couple of pfsense boxes as a high-availability
> pair, using CARP. One problem is that only 5 public IP addresses are
> available for the site and 4 are needed to access servers on the DMZ.

Do all four need high availability?  Can you have one that isn't
highly available?  If so, you can easily run carp on 3 of them, and
use the physical IP of the master to nat to the other server.

> Is it possible to use private addresses (eg 10....) on the WAN interfaces of
> the boxes, reserving the public addresses for use by CARP.

Nope.  A nasty (and I do mean nasty) hack is to use a /28 instead of a
/29 which would allow you to put the firewall physicals outside of
your /29.  It's a hack and has issues, the least of which is that you
can't access the /29 that you're stealing IP space from.  If that's
not a concern, it's at least a potential workaround.  At least until
FreeBSD supports carpdev.