Simon

Best I could do would be to build the system in a VMware environment.

To be honest, I tend to use the Intel NICs because they are notoriously stable
and have been supported by *BSD for a long time (compared to other gigabit
NICs) - they even work on m0n0wall.  I have had a similar setup working with
OpenBSD in the past with no problems.

In this case, because the problem is only present on a particular interface on
both firewalls (I can delete the carp address and everything else works fine)
I am tending to believe that the problem is outside the box.  I hope to test
this theory next week by swapping switch ports, cables, etc.

/peter

believed to be clean.