Well for me...I have commit access to pfSense, I don't for Sonic or Cisco ;-P

For everyone else...

1. Good luck getting a quick patch for a small bug from Cisco -
personal experience tells me that unless it's a sev 1 (network down)
AND you have a good support contract with them, you won't get anyone
that cares.  And when you do, they'll insist on having you log in to
equipment that won't power up, to run show tech, when the problem is
that it's dead.  *sigh*.
2. Runs on common hardware which I can get MUCH less expensive support
contracts on (a gigabit capable cluster for $10K, try that with Cisco)
3. Great mailing list support from the developers themselves - it'll
take you weeks to talk to a Cisco developer and even then, they don't
know what they're doing half the time (maintenance coder vs.
developer)
4. I don't like the color blue, red is much more appealing (ever
wonder why I work on pfSense, not m0n0? ;-P)

Now...why would I not choose pfSense?  Where's the expensive support
contract that will make my boss happy that I can theoretically get
someone anytime of day (that I may or may not be able to understand)
and ask them a question that they may or may not be able to answer?
Yeah, we don't have one of those, we suck.  I can't hire anyone that's
spent gobs of money on a certification (that means they know what
color the firewall is) to give me warm fuzzies, I actually have to
hire people with a brain that I'll have to pay more for and actually
get something for my money.

--Bill

---
With Open Source, the developer, the help desk, and the salesman is you.