Jeff,

Assuming you are talking about T1 to internet and want to carry VoIP
in the tunnel, be careful. The main problem is that you must be able
to establish some kind of QOS through that tunnel.  I am not sure
that you can prioritize traffic in the tunnel. If you can prioritize
prior to encryption, this could work out. You might have to add
another layer. The other folks on this list can help you with that.
As far as hardware requirements, for a T1, the needs are rather low
as indicated in previous postings. BTW, data is not data. jitter,
latency, echo and delay are significant factors for VoIP.  For this
reason, you will want to make sure that encryption/decryption takes
place very fast. AES is a nice efficient method but I have not seen
that on pfSense yet. 3DES may be fine as long as you are not under
powered. I have done little testing in this area.

Park