Gary Buckmaster wrote:
I wouldn't run freshclam from cron. It's a very small daemon and very efficient. Much better to let it run and update all on its own according to its configuration file. Just my opinion, however.

I chose to run from cron because that was easy from a package writers point of view. I also agree that making it a daemon is better, because currently there is no safe way to remove a cron entry when a package is removed. I will update the package to run freshclam as a daemon. Bit busy right now, will revisit HAVP next week.

raj