doh, great explanation Holger...I totally forgot about the security
association issue ;)

--Bill

On 6/7/06, Holger Bauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You need parallel tunnels for both connections to work (explanation why at the
bottom):

At remote Site 1:

Tunnel1 to corefirewall:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN subnet of Corefirewall

Tunnel2 to corefirewall:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN of Remote Site 2 (!)

Same for remote Site 2:

Tunnel1 to corefirewall:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN subnet of Corefirewall

Tunnel2 to corefirewall:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN of Remote Site 1 (!)

Corefirewall:

Tunnel1 to remote Site 1:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN subnet of remote Site 1

Tunnel2 to remote Site 1:
local subnet: LAN of remote Site 2 (!)
remote subnet: LAN of Remote Site 1

Tunnel 3 to remote Site 2:
local subnet: LAN
remote subnet: LAN subnet of remote Site 2

Tunnel4 to remote Site 2:
local subnet: LAN of remote Site 1 (!)
remote subnet: LAN of remote Site 2

To be able to divide the parallel Tunnels as they run between the same public
IPs you need to work with unique Identifiers for the tunnels. Create a set of
preshared keys for the tunnels.

Btw, this doesn't work for a mobile Client setup as you can't set more than one
local subnet at the static end.

So why is it complicated like this? Traffic with destination to remote site 2
doesn't match the tunneldefinition you have between remote site 1 and
corefirewall, so the traffic won't be encapsulated into the tunnel but goes out
your real WAN. Static routes can't fix this.

Will this change in an upcoming version of pfSense? I hope that but for version
1.0 it has to be done this way.

Holger