On 7/17/06, Alastair Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi - well this sounds interesting, though not very encouraging!  The whole
thing is set up on a test bench at the moment, and as it happens, we are
using *different* types of switches on different interfaces.  The LANs are
using 24-port Netgears, and the WANs are using cheapo D-Link consumer
switches temporarily.

 All but one are unmanaged, though I think we'll be using the managed ones
in the production setup.  This looks like a tricky one to diagnose - maybe
it will all 'just work' in production?  :-)

CARP is a multicast protocol and uses a multicast MAC address.  The
cheap switches _should_ handle it fine, with that said, I've only run
it on high end Cisco's, Nortels, a netgear (consumer grade) and
whatever is built into my cable modem and when I had it dsl modem.
One the Ciscos and Nortels, I've certainly run it 'cross switch where
each firewall interface was on a different interface, it works (be
careful with the Nortels, we ran into code bugs with them).  Not sure
what more I can suggest, it sounds like you've got a pretty basic
setup and it's still not working properly :-/