On 7/28/06, Jure Pečar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:08:51 +0200
"Espen Johansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The only time I have seen behaviour like this is when either the nic
> or the cable has issue, when everything stopped it was the card
> trying to autosense half duplex because of a bad cable. Maybe you
> should have a look at your nics, and possibly the cable and or
> switch. Another example is the 3c905B that drops to half duplex when
> loaded with 70mbit + over a period (30sec or more).

Yup, you are right.

We have a primary pfsense (dual xeon, gbit fiber intel nics) and a secondary one (p4, 100mbit copper intel nics) and when I failed over the traffic to the second one, it started to work as it should.

When was the last time those fiber ends were cleaned? :)  For that matter, was it unplugged to replace the linux install?  If so, it probably got dirty at that point - fiber is extremely touchy (and I've troubleshot more than my fair share of dirty fiber issues).