On 9/6/06, Robert Mortimer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I accept that I have an unusual layout. In some ways it was based on the
CARP documentation so it is not a great surprise that it includes "about the
_only_ legitimate use for this feature". I am OK with the fact that what I
am doing is unsupported and my require me to do the odd hack each time I
upgrade.

I'd like to see that your change doesn't adversely affect the more
normal use case for CARP and we can consider importing it.  Obviously
we've added measures to prevent duplicate VHIDs in the system - it's
needed for arpbalance to work.  If you can come up with a way to keep
the two mutually exclusive (ie, allow multiple VHIDs if arpbalance is
enabled and the carp IP is the same on both VHIDs) and test the hell
out of it to ensure than you don't run into any carp related kernel
panics I'd be interested in considering it's integration.

If you wish I can do the following:-

Document the setup including the hack to get it to work (in case anyone else
wants to achieve the same)

The documentation would be good if you are interested in making this a
little more bulletproof so people can't easily shoot themselves in the
foot.

PS I am already trying to find time to submit my changes for local RFC 2136
updates from the pfsense DHCP server to HEAD (the changes I did against RC2
failed miserably when applied to HEAD and as you know the window is closed
for inclusion in 1.0).

lol, yeah, it's a right pain to backport from HEAD to RELENG_1 these days.