On Sep 9, 2006, at 3:47 PM, Robert Carr wrote:

I realize pfsense isn't SMP-capable, but would it run
on a core-duo (or core-solo processor)?  Or are these
processors totally unsupported for now?

pfSense surely is SMP capable... it definitely recognizes a P4 with hyperthreading and runs in multi-user mode if you enable that via a / boot/loader.conf tunable machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1

I know from personal experience that FreeBSD 6.1 runs extremely well on Pentium-D dual core (it is frighteningly fast) in SMP mode but that wasn't for pfSense.

With the current bleeding edge new machines, you have to watch out for the ethernet controllers built-in to the motherboards. some of the latest broadcom chipsets are not completely supported or may be sub optimal. the intel NICs do tend to work much more reliably. also, if you're looking for some of the new SAS controllers for your disk, they may not be 100% either.