On 10/8/06, Kristofer Kiik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/8/06, SDamron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> All traffic coming in through a tunnel is encrypted.  The only way to
> limit this traffic is to terminate it and pass it through some kinda
> of other firewall, or IDS.

It is encrypted when it enters the pfSense. It is decrypted in pfSense
and leaves unencrypted through LAN interface. Can't it be firewalled
leaving pfSense to LAN?

Technically yes.  But we considered that and decided not to do a half
ass job with it.  Filtering outbound from pfSense may protect your
network, but leaves your firewall (and it's management interface) open
to attack.  Exposing this filtering gives you a false sense of
security that I'm not willing to hand out.  Disabling filtering
altogether until it can be done right was a better choice - it makes
it apparent that you should do your IPSec on a different box than you
do the firewalling on (for now).  Unfortunately the enc(4) code came
too late for 1.0 which has been in feature freeze for the better part
of a year while we fix bugs in the current features.