I’ll describe some problems we are noticing in pfsense and some advices in how to reproduce:

1)       Under heavy load and using transparent proxy in pfsense in some peak hours users receive HTTP 500 Error for pages that are online. If the administrator removes pfsense the error quits happening.

2)       The process rc.initial uses 100% CPU. It happens with a special pattern: if conection with the shell using ssh is broken the CPU load of rc.initial usually goes to 100%

3)       The config.xml file sometimes disappear, mainly if the machine has a power failure or improper shutdown. There are no easy recovery procedure for this. We noticed that this problem happens with several platforms and configurations.

We currently have an installed plant of 60 pfsense machines and these problems are based on our experience.

Best Regards,

Pedro Paulo Oliveira Jr