On 10/24/06, Robert Goley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bus order is what changes the order here.  It's certainly possible to
> have em0 be em1 after inserting another em card in the machine.  Be
> thankful that BSD actually identifies the chipset here...I find it
> impossible to figure out wth happened in linux when adding/removing
> nics (and dmesg is useless when trying to figure out just what eth0
> actually is).

This can be corrected using udev and setting ethx based on the MAC address of
the NICs.  Then they are consistent even adding and removing hardware.  Does

Interesting, hadn't heard of that ability.  Thanks, filed away for
future reference (of note, the last kernel I spent any real time on
was 2.2....although I have fiddled with newer released, just never
cared for linux after finding my bsd calling ;))

BSD have an equivalent functionality?  Not trying to bring up a BSD/Linux
flame war, just want to know.  Linux will autoassign or allow setting these
to specific NICs.  Does BSD have the forced assignment capabilities?

If you know the IO addresses you might be able to assign them in
config(8) or in the kernel config file.