What are you talking about?   We are merely raising money for a
transparent bridge shaper.  Please cut this FUD out.

Scott

On 11/8/06, Christian Krützfeldt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

As the recent discussion in the forum shows, there is interest in a new traffic
shaper.

From the discussion I can see that everybody wants something different from the
traffic shaper. :-)

Wishes include:
- transparent traffic shaping
- QOS
- shaping on all interfaces
- shaping traffic inside individual IPSEC tunnels
- routing traffic based on traffic queue status
- port and IP based shaping
- easy to use and administrate
- everything possible on a large scale OC12 with hundreds of servers

To make all this possible, I guess we need some sort of virtual interfaces.
If we have an easy way to create a virtual interface, we could combine the
traffic we want to shape on an virtual interface and then use a shaper like
ALTQ without the need to reprogramm everything.
Just create an virtual interface for IPSEC tunnel X, give it a name like
(WAN_IPSEC_HQ) and shape on that interface.

As for the large scale, it is not practical to add hundreds of rules and
shaping entries for each source IP. Virtual Interfaces could also help here. If
you can create virtual interfaces based on source IP and apply the same traffic
shaping rules to a group of interfaces it would only be a couple of mouse
clicks.
Pfsense could automatically create an virtual interface when traffic comes in
from a new source and X seconds after the last traffic from that source delete
the virtual interface again.

I guess nobody is suggesting shaping a couple of OC12 lines on a small embedded
system with 128 MB of RAM and an slow CPU, but on the other hand for people who
only have a 2 Mbit DSL line it should still be possible to run the same code.
So please whatever you do, don't increase the minimum requirements too much.

Unfortunately I'm not good enough at programming such things, so I wouldn't
have a clue on how to do it. :( But I'm willing to put in a bounty for it.

Any thougts about this?

Christian