Hi Holger et al

Yes, it proved to be the null modem cable - and some errant assumptions on my
part!

May I suggest:

1) for the documentation - an addition that clarifies the differences in the CF
card bootup sequence between Monowall and pfSense,
as pfSense does not behave the same as Monowall (as one might have expected) -
as the video and keyboard stop responding very early
on, and the subsequent boot information is transferred and only available down
the serial cable.

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
([EMAIL PROTECTED], Sunday Oct 29 01:30:00 UTC 2006)
/

2) that just before pfSense transfers control to the serial cable that it also
send a message to the video monitor, as suggested
below.  (So that one might not be lead to believe the install has hung, as one
might be tempted to believe....)

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
([EMAIL PROTECTED], Sunday Oct 29 01:30:00 UTC 2006)
/
Keyboard input and video display stopping and diverting to terminal, via COM1
serial null modem link.
Connect to continue from there...

3) That one beep sounds when the default install comes to the first choice, so
that the installer gets to know the boot sequence has
completed correctly, even if they are not getting a serial output.

If it helps anyone the HyperTerminal Config (for a PC using a CF card - not an
embedded device)  is 9600 bps.

I hope these help someone in the future!

Again, many thanks to the people involved, pfSense certainly is very good!

Kind regards David Hingston