I have a pfSense box that cannot loopback to internal addresses via WAN
IPs and cannot resolve DNS (and hence cannot contact pfsense.com to
download packages).  Note that only pfSense itself cannot resolve
DNS--our internal servers can resolve DNS using the same external name
servers as pfSense.  We're running 1.0.1, but this hasn't worked for us
on this box since RC3 or so (I think).

I have 2 other pfSense boxes and both those work fine.  I couldn't
figure out why this one can't loopback or resolve DNS, so I built a new
pfSense box with all new hardware, installed from CD, then loaded the
old config with new interface IDs.  Same problem.  Thus, I assume
there's a problem with my config.  However, I've been over and over the
config and compared it to the 2 working boxes and to old config backups
we have.  I can't find any significant differences.  I even removed all
the features and rules that I could, thinking maybe I was overlooking
something.  Still can't get it to work.  The only thing I can think to
do now is to rebuild and start the setup from scratch, manually
re-entering our entire config and checking after every change to see if
it still works.

Can anyone offer any solutions or troubleshooting advice before I'm
forced to shutdown our offices for a few hours?

--Bennett