i previously had 2 sites, both with pfsense firewalls.

site a - 192.168.125.0/26
site b - 192.168.125.64/26

i recently did away with site a, and since those ips were no longer in use, i
decided to change my site b from a /26 to a /25.  so i started with the
pfsense box.  it ip was previously 192.168.125.65, and i changed it to
192.168.125.1.  saved changes.

now, all the hosts at site b are also on the same 192.168.125.64/26, with ips
between x.x.x.65-127.  theoretically, with site a gone, they should be able
to ping nothing below 64, since they are off their network.  but, as soon as
the pfsense interface was back up, hosts that had ips betwen x.x.x.65-127
were already able to ping 192.168.125.1, and any other hosts on the internet
(even tho the gateway on their network was no longer there!  .65 was
unpingable).

uh, i thought i understood the basic concepts of subnetting, and if i had it
all wrong, then why was my previous vpn between site b and a working
perfectly?  or is there some devilry or trickery in the way bsd does its tcp?

totally confused,
jonathan