Greetings list,

I remember reading something on the list a few weeks ago to the effect that
enabling traffic shaping on a load balanced setup causes all sorts of
problems.

I gave it a try myself this evening briefly, and although it appeared things
were being dropped into the correct queues, speeds dropped off to a figure
that'd be reasonable for a single WAN being active (though the traffic
graphs seemed to indicate both WANs in use).

>From that, am I correct in thinking that the traffic shaper's pipe sizes in
a dual WAN setup reflect the *total* available pipe? i.e. I know that of the
2 connections here, downstream on one is 3.2mbit and 1.9mbit on the other
(real-world figures, not ISP quoted figures). Should the total downstream
pipe be 5.1mbit?

If the list's advice is to not use traffic shaping in a dual WAN setup,
would it be possible to accomplish something similar with a m0n0wall box (no
nat, straight routing) in front of each of pfSense's WAN links? I know it
sounds like an overkill, but I'm not really bothered about traffic shaping
on the 3.2mbit WAN, only on the 1.9mbit WAN (which gets all the VoIP phone
traffic).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris