On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 12:07:32PM -0600, Bill Marquette wrote:

> Will the switch send vlan 1 tagged or untagged?  If it's tagged, just
> create vlan1 on the pfsense box.  If it's going to send it untagged

Stupid question: if I have two switches (a HP ProCurve 2650 and a
Netgear GS724T to be precise, which are both quite reasonable products
for the price tag, especially if you reflash the Netgear firmware, which
is buggy out of the box), which are both vlan-capable (it's supposedly
standartized, whatever little that means in this business),
can I make tagged vlans which span across two or more switches?

> (most switches will for "native" vlans), then you'll need an IP on the
> physical interface (I'm not entirely sure if we support that setup).

Apropos of nothing, I managed to down my hoster's network segment by
an inadvertent ARP storm, made with pfSense (it's a great dual-use product,
doubles as a nuclear weapon in a pinch). I had a firewall with two interfaces
(two firewalls, in fact) on the same switch. While playing around with the
port-based vlans (I tried to not have two interfaces on the same VLAN, thinking
that Something Bad might happen, and was proven right) I managed to actually
put two interfaces on the same (main) VLAN, which took everything offline (and
my entire
subnet banned because of a DoS) in a mere few seconds. It required a manual
intervention (switching off the firewalls by power button), disabling the
switch ports, and unbanning the network to get me back in business.
The firewalls were still unaccessible (I almost triggered another
ARP storm by trying to get back to them, but this time fortunately managed
to disable the port in time), but fortunately I had a crossover serial to a
Linux machine in the rack, and a PDU which allowed me to remotely power-cycle
the
firewalls, so I could reconfigure the firewalls via the serial console (I used
minicom, which is in the Debian depository -- anyone knows anything more
basic?).
The other firewall, unfortunately, lacked such a crossover serial, so it's dead
until a physical visit, or at least until I pay for a pair of remote hands,
and a crossover cable. Well, this means that I have to try a filtered bridge
next,
and think later about pfsync/carp cluster failover.

Moral: networking is unsuitable for dumb people.