Tim Nelson wrote:
Hello! I've been using PPTP VPN for quite a while and have just recently started using the Captive Portal. However, when I enable captive portal, all traffic from PPTP clients does not pass. I have a rule to allow ALL traffic from PPTP clients into the LAN. Also, the LAN is where I have enabled the captive portal. I have tried assigning the range of MACs'/IP's that are assigned to PPTP clients in the pass-through section of the captive portal but still no traffic passes.

When connected remotely via PPTP, I can open up a new shell and start a continuous ping to an IP on the LAN segment. When I enable the captive portal, all pings are lost. Stopping the CP and all pings come right back. The only host I have access to in this situation is the pfSense box itself. Even when traffic is blocked from the LAN, I can access the web configurator.

Is this a bug? Do I need to have any special firewall rules? Help!

--Tim Nelson

Hello,

I just solved a similar problem. Go to Services:Captive portal:Allowed IP Addresses and add the IPs that need to talk to each other. I'm not exactly sure how this would work for VPN, but I had to do this to get pcAnywhere to work again. You have to add the IP in the captive portal interface, not just the NAT and firewall rules.

This isn't very clear, so it is more of a problem with documentation and usability than an actual bug.

I hope this helps.

-Matthew