Tim Nelson wrote:
Unfortunately, I am not having the same success as you with this! I've configured my pfSense box and my Shrewsoft VPN client exactly as you have presented, changing only the required items(IPs..) and still no luck. Although, now I have different entries in my logs! They are:

May 22 02:31:17     last message repeated 2 times
May 22 02:30:57 racoon: ERROR: Invalid exchange type 6 from xx.xxx.xxx.45[13620]. May 22 02:30:57 racoon: INFO: ISAKMP-SA established xx.xxx.xxx.41[500]-xx.xxx.xxx.45[13620] spi:414a323fc562af9b:a0f2118df4c4c50a
May 22 02:30:57     racoon: INFO: received Vendor ID: DPD
May 22 02:30:57 racoon: INFO: received broken Microsoft ID: FRAGMENTATION
May 22 02:30:57     racoon: INFO: received Vendor ID: CISCO-UNITY
May 22 02:30:57     racoon: INFO: begin Aggressive mode.
May 22 02:30:57 racoon: INFO: respond new phase 1 negotiation: xx.xxx.xxx.41[500]<=>xx.xxx.xxx.45[13620]

Did you import the file I attached into the VPN Access Manager as a starting point for your site configuration or did you create one from scratch? It would appear that the Client is trying to use mode config ( exchange type 6 ) to auto-configure one or more parameters. The file I had attached disabled all the mode config functionality to prevent this from happening.

Here is a message that I posted on the Shrew Soft mailing list that describes what options need to be disabled to prevent mode config from being used. It basically says to disable the login banner and any setting that says automatic ;)

http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2006-October/000610.html

The Shrew Soft Client tracks ipsec tools development so it works best with later versions. As the client is flexible, it tends to be a bit of a chore to get it working with a fully manual configuration. The idea is to have all possible settings centrally administered by the VPN Gateway. If you are curious about how things would normally work, you can check out the Client Documentation section titled "Using the VPN Client".

http://www.shrew.net/vpn/help-2.0.0/vpnhelp.htm

The pfsense web interface doesn't support all the whiz bang features that are made possible by the mode config and extended / hybrid authentication protocol extensions. After I get 2.0 out the door, I may have time to look at the pfSense code and see what I can do to help out in this regard.

If you still have problems, let me know.

-Matthew