Hi!

We've been successfully using PfSense for over a year now on our
corporate WAN and mighty pleased we are with it!

So PfSense was the obvious choice for a specific, seemingly
straightforward project - one server on the end of its own dedicated DSL
line with a two-NIC PfSense box in between.  Thus; one LAN & one WAN
interface & that's it.  It really couldn't be a more simple setup; DSL
router on the WAN interface, 4-port hub on the LAN interface and one
server. (Oh and currently my laptop for testing purposes).

Yet whatever I do I can't resolve external hosts.  It's driving me mad,
I've tried explicitly allowing all traffic on the WAN interface to all
destinations, even though I appreciate that shouldn't be necessary.
I've tried setting up my test laptop with a manual IP and DNS server
address of the ISP's name server, having an address served by the
PfSense DHCP server, setting up "Enable DNS Forwarding" so the address
of the PfSense box is used as DNS by the test laptop....  Nothing.

Sure I can ping any dot address I like on the outside world just fine so
connectivity is OK.  Frustratingly there isn't anything showing up in
the firewall log either as if port 53 traffic is mysteriously being
blocked somehow.

I'm all out of ideas - does anyone else have any?

Thanks in advance,

Steve