Not sure if this made it into b1 or not, but I believe on at least the
most recent snaps you only need to install to hard drive (on the
surrogate host) and configure it for serial console via the web UI.
Technically the 4801 never really needed a serial only kernel - the
WRAP did due to BIOS differences that caused FreeBSD to hang (or
crash?) on boot with a VGA kernel.  The Soekris BIOS was a little more
superior in that regard...FreeBSD has since worked around the issue.

--Bill