Hi,
it took me a while to install my latest pfsense (1.2-rc1) box because I
needed to use a trunk port and vlans.

The install process asks for the parent interface (easy) and the vlan,
and I created vlans 1,2,3,4,10 & 11. My LAN is vlan2, but it seems
freebsd creates sequential interfaces (vlan0, vlan1 etc), and only
"ifconfig -a" allows you to realise than interface vlan1 is has vlan tag 2.

When I got the firewall up and running, in the Status->Interfaces page
it tells me LAN interface (vlan1), but in the Interfaces->Assign page it
says LAN's network port is 'VLAN 2 on em1" which is correct.

Perhaps this is documented in some howto/faq, but it's definitely
confusing to someone relatively new - coming from linux where you'd have
(say) eth0.2 as vlan-tag-2 and eth0.5 as vlan tag 5, it's easy to get
very confused.

thanks
Paul