all,

my network has been functioning correctly for me since the other day...
immediatly following a reboot of my switch (netgear, about 7 year old 16 port
10/100).

my client who is having the same (but on a much larger, much more painfully
slow scale as I, urf..) issue has recently deployed many vista stations
(which im sure *all* have ipv6 enabled, as they are all out of the box OS
installs).

myself, i have a FreeBSD desktop, a mac, and a vista and an XP that rarely get
turned on.  in my freebsd kernel config, i do have 'options INET6' in there,
but i never figured it was affecting me due to my ifconfig looking like this:

bge0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        options=1b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING>
        inet 192.168.125.83 netmask 0xffffff80 broadcast 192.168.125.127
        ether 00:13:21:62:c6:24
        status: active
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000

my freebsd is dhcp... not that i think about ipv6 at all, but i guess i would
have thought that if i was using any ipv6 it would ahve been handed out by
the pfsense.  i really honestly havent looked at any IPv6... ever, as i
havent been put into a situation where it affects me (until now i suppose!)

either way, thats neither here nor there.  for the past few days since my
switch reboot, everything has been running smoothly.  I also really didnt
give any good scientific testing of the other OS's i have around my house...
i just kinda figured if FreeBSD (being the best one, of course!) is
experiencing it, they all must.

and my both freebsd and mac laptops which i use in the field at client sites,
had the same problem when visiting my "issue" site as well... so i have seen
it on a mac i guess.

anyway, thats where i stand for now.  i guess it wouldnt be any trouble to
rebuild my kernels without the INET6, if that would help.
--
Jonathan Horne
http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org