On Nov 30, 2007 3:14 AM, Linus Nordberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How are security issues in "upstream" software like the FreeBSD kernel
> handled by the pfSense project?  In the particular case of

If we determine there is a security issue in upstream software that
impacts pfSense we'll roll a new point release.  In the case of
FreeBSD-SA-07:09.random, this isn't considered a critical issue.  1.2
release and any snapshots built after 2007-11-29 16:07:30 UTC will
include the fix.  Note that the advisory mentions that an attack would
likely require local (ie. an account ON the system) access to exploit
and this is not a remote root or security bypass attack per se.

> FreeBSD-SA-07:09.random, I have two questions:
>
> - What parts of pfSense are affected by the bug?  I realize that this
>   might be a big question.

Potentially openssl library (openvpn, openssh, https access to mgmt
interface), ipsec vpn.

> - How should I do to get it fixed?  I'm running the embedded image.

Upgrade to latest snapshot if you are really concerned.  Else wait
until 1.2 is released.

>   I can see that rolling my own image would do it.  Last time I looked
>   that didn't look exactly like a walk in the park though.  Any pointers
>   to info about it are appreciated.

It's not ;)  The developers wiki and forum are your best resources for
working through your own build.

>   I could use a snapshot, like
>   http://snapshots.pfsense.com/FreeBSD6/RELENG_1_2/embedded/pfSense.img.gz,
>   but how can I know if it includes some particular fix?  In this case,

Ask?  Look at our cvstrac timeline and see if we committed a specific
fix.  Generically, our build server cranks out a new image every
couple hours (remember that it has to build each platform individually
and it takes about an hour per platform), so within a few hours of a
specific commit, or upstream commit to FreeBSD, we'll pick it up in
the snapshots.