small update:

on my other (recently setup) BSD system, which is: FreeBSD 6.2- RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007 I see in /usr/src/sys/dev/usb that uftdi.c and "usbdevs" contain a definition for this device.

so, can someone tell me how I can get this into the embedded image? uftdi appears to not be there now, though it seems ucom may exist? - I'm still very confused how everything is assembled into the Embedded image. It would be great if there is a way I can just copy this over - but I do not see a /sys/modules directory... (among other things, like it couldn't be that simple ;-)

Thanks!
-Chris