It seems if I have a tcp connection that comes in the LAN interface to
my pfSense gateway, and exists the same interface, I can transfer a
small amount of data before pfSense starts dropping the packets.

Eg

  ----------
  | router |
  ----------
    | 192.168.1.1
    |
    | 192.168.1.29
    |   -----
    +---|myPC|
    |   -----
    |

    | 192.168.1.204
    |   -----
    +---|dev|
    |   -----

On router I've got this static route:
 LAN     192.168.12.0/24         192.168.1.204           Virtual Dev machines

So if I do a scp from myPC to 192.168.12.23 the traffic flows on my
default route to the router, and then gets forwarded onto the dev box.

A tcpdump of one such transfer (of a 2Mb file) shows the connection
starts, but after about Seq=64664 (thats the tcp sequence number of the
direction from myPC to 192.168.12.23) my tcpdump shows that no more
packets are forwarded onto 192.168.12.23.

Anyone know why?

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator