Am 15.03.2008 um 00:07 schrieb Michel Servaes:

Hi,

I am investigating a bit about m0n0wall & pfSense... to my knowledge, it seems that a CF card is not really a good medium to have many writes onto... so currently I am running m0n0wall for that reason. I know the embedded version of pfSense is comparable with m0n0wall (eg. loading into ramdisk etc)

But let's assume I buy an ALIX board, and I put a Microdrive (instead of a CF-card), would I be able to install the complete image and not only the embedded version ??? I assume that I first have to install it on an ordinary pc (since the Alix won't support the LiveCD (and in fact a CDROM drive) to install it), and then put the Microdrive card into the CF-card slot of the Alix ???

My questions would be :

- will the LiveCD-version function on an Alix board ?
- is a MicroDrive better for read/write access
- is a MicroDrive noisy ??
- would you recommend an Alix Board + Microdrive + pfSense full version + some packages (my preffered packages would be : ntop, iperf & imspector + eventually some proxying)

Last time I checked, you needed a slightly adapted kernel for that to work (boot standard kernel on embedded hardware) because of the lack of video or keyboard in the then WRAP boards.
Has this changed?

Noise: I think the microdrive is next to silent.

cheers,
Rainer
--
Rainer Duffner