Randy Schultz write:

Yeah I know - bad form replying to one's own message but...  could somebody who
knows more confirm or deny if this will work in pfsense:
create an alias that blocks ports, then set up a rule that blocks from any to the alias

Hi,
it is possible in another way.
First, you have to create a port-alias, but cosinder, that you put only ports from the same type (tcp or udp) in one alias.

Live example:
allow only secure mailtransport to my mailserver:
1. port alias
<alias>
                        <name>Secure_mail</name>
                        <address>465 993 995</address>