On Apr 14, 2008, at 3:14 AM, Chris Buechler wrote:
1.2.1 will include some improvements in the upgrade process. Largely
to accommodate 1.2 to 1.3 full install upgrades, though it may help
embedded. We haven't had a chance to work with embedded much yet, not
sure if it's made any difference.

I know I've piped up many times regarding embedded upgrades...

I've been using the FreeNAS software (also in "embedded" version), which is also derived from m0n0wall, and it seems to have a very robust upgrade process. I've upgraded it several times and never had a failure. It seems to in-place reflash the disk image while preserving the config file. I don't know if pfSense can pull this off with the larger image size, since it would need to use RAM to store image during upgrade.

Of course, my ideal preference would be to have the "dual zone" firmware and a menu to allow one to choose which version to boot. Given that CF cards come no smaller than 1-2Gb these days, it seems possible to do.

But in any case, I really look forward to safer upgrades for embedded release (especially if /etc/ttys doesn't get clobbered like it always seems to be).