Aside from writing a patch/package to pfsense to allow monitoring of OpenVPN clients, it seems to me that the easiest solution for finding the current OpenVPN connections is to write a shell script which you can call from the Diagnostics > Execute command section of the UI.

Something like this works fine and dandy:

#!/bin/sh

(
  echo "status"
  sleep 2
  echo "quit"
) | telnet localhost 7505

I just uploaded this using the Diagnostics tab of the UI, then logged in via SSH and moved it to a permanent location and set the script executable.

Then you can just type it's path and execute it to get the current client list.