On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Dean Larson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i have a cron job  of 15 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -u -s tick.usno.navy.mil
>
> i did the command you said ntpdate pool.ntp.org.  and yes it sets the time,
> but it doesn't stay. for long.
>
> computer kept near perfect time before under different o/s.  this seems real
> strange.

Sounds familiar. I've seen and/or heard of this under 3 circumstances.

1) Buggy BIOS - I've redeployed older hardware that ran fine for years
with Windows, but as soon as I redeployed with FreeBSD, it wouldn't
keep time for anything. Updated to the latest BIOS and the problem was
gone. It was several revisions out of date, one of which included a
timekeeping fix that apparently didn't apply to Windows. I
specifically saw this with Dell hardware, but it's possible with any
hardware and have heard of others seeing the same with other hardware.

2) PNP OS turned on - if PNP OS is on in your BIOS, turn it off.

3) ACPI issues - try disabling ACPI, sometimes it causes time keeping issues.