yeah, i have a 512mb CF card in there, and yeah it only stores log info.. When I had to do a reformat not too long ago, I tried installing onto a 4GB CF card instead, but since you have to run the installer for embedded in DOS, it hit the cylinder limit and screwed up in the formatting process.. My ALIX board has a 44 pin socket that would take a laptop HD, but I haven't quite figured out physically why they built it so screwed up. In order to connect a drive directly, I'd have to remove my case, and stick the HD in sticking straight up in the air. There is no room for it at all in the casing, even if I rigged a ribbon cable in there. However I have been building a box myself, that is basically done, that uses an old, but really small MB w/ P3 - And I have 5 NICS in there right now, a slim cdr, a floppy, and that 4GB CF card as the HD. I haven't tried it out yet, as I bought the ALIX board, and kinda lost interest, or rather haven't had a need for it until now I suppose.. I also just acquired a Cisco 7507 router, and I'm kinda trying to figure out how to reconfig or config my network properly. I should draw out a network diagram and post it up here, as I know no one who knows one thing about what I'm doing. :) So I will post that asap, once I draw it all out... But I had a few other questions I might need answered before the config can be completed...

I have an Apple Airport Extreme - the a/b/g/n one - and it's a piece of crap. :) I mean I got it a while ago, and I primarily do use Macs so it made sense. But the range on the thing sucks, and whenever I'm simply streaming a movie from a NAS device, the thing goes nuts - doesn't play full speed, and the port on the Cisco router it's connected to indicates problems with the flashing green-to-orange.. I can be on the other side of the office, and only have a 30% signal running N only on 5ghz. I have it maxed out - it's just crap. But my ALIX board has 2 miniPCI slots on it that I have yet to mess with. I need something super powerful in regards to range, speed, and multicast. And I know you can't throw 2 wireless cards in there, so what can the other slot be used for? And what miniPCI wireless card would you recommend that I could potentially (as an example) stream a movie a 1/2 mile away? I have access to my roof, and my building is taller than most in this general area, but I live/work in the South Bronx. :) There are so many wireless networks it's insane. I saw these one cards, I can't recall the brand at the moment, but they are operating on the old 900mhz freq. and are supposed to get crazy range, even through walls, which is good, as my building is all brick, exposed brick, and I heard this eats wireless signals. What kind of setup do you suggest?

Basically I have 12 enterprise class servers, about 5 workstations, 3 cisco 2924XL-E switches, the ALIX board, the pfSense box in the works, the Apple Wireless, 2 Cisco 2600 series routers that I have no idea what to do with, 5 static IPs but I'm only using one right now, and the Cisco 7507 router fully loaded to the hilt - and running primarily OSX Server, Fedora Core, and Solaris. I got some issues... :) I need to format a windows server - but I dread windows server software... That Cisco router I bought an extra processor board for - so once I get it running, it should be the king. But the 2 sides of it function independently. Oh yeah, and I'm running a combo of copper and fiber. lol. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

-patrick

Patrick M. Murray, M.F.A.
http://www.patrickmurray.net