From: "Chris Buechler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: support@pfsense.com
Sent: 08-06-25 07:19
Subject: Re: [pfSense Support] error in firewall rules with FTP helper on
embedded

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Vivek Khera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've had passwd file corruption before a couple of times during power
> failures, etc.

Hah  Of course *you* have, Vivek.  ;)  If only any of the developers
could replicate embedded problems like it seems only you can....  :)

1.3 embedded will (hopefully) be based on NanoBSD and support multiple
firmware installs (primary/backup or what have you), and upgrades will
be essentially the same as m0n0wall's - i.e. bulletproof. I say
hopefully because it's still a work in progress, but there is a
working proof of concept and it appears that's the way things will end
up.

It's not pfSense code related, or it'd be happening on full installs
as well, and we'd be hearing about it a lot more. Looking at just one
mirror out of 11 (NYI), the 1.2 release iso has been downloaded
228,094 times, 1.2 embedded 30,723 times. We haven't heard of this
ever happening on a full install, and we definitely would have by now
if it were happening with more than 7 times as many downloads. So it's
something to do with how we're doing embedded, and going the NanoBSD
route eliminates this and takes us back to being more m0n0wall-like on
embedded. pfSense 1.3 should offer an excellent embedded if this all
shapes up as planned.