I personally am looking forward to pfSense on FreeBSD7, however I also
understand and agree with the original post for the most part.  Generally it
seems that a release like 1.2.1 would be considered a maintenance release which
would only cover bug fixes and the like so changing something as major as the
base OS could be unexpected.

But, if 1.3 is going to be that far away then might as well go for it.  :)