According to Rainer Duffner <rai...@ultra-secure.de> on Mon, 01/12/09 at 12:12:

> FreeBSD6 had no support for lagg(4). Though I think it may have been
> MFCed to 6.4.
> FreeBSD7 has.
> Pfsense 1.2 was developed with FreeBSD6 in mind.
>
> I don't know - maybe pfSense 2.0 will have support for lagg(4)?
>
> I don't miss it - I only have one DSL line anyway ;-)

Thanks, but I wasn't speaking of link aggregation, although this
is a very cool concept that I had to deal with in Red Hat Linux
a year or two ago.  Today's is a much simpler observation on my part.

In pfSense the whole focus is on firewalls and filter rules, and, as
stated earlier, the WAN is assumed always to be the interface jumping
off point to all the other pfSense features.  My observation was about
the non-orthogonal nature of the configuration pages (compare the LAN
and the WAN pages).  Evidently the only way to set a default route is
by configuring the WAN (in my case sis1) interface, even though (in my
application of pfSense - a purely wireless AP) I am not using either
the WAN (sis1) or the OPT1 (sis2) interfaces on my Soekris 4801 box.

Mine was a plea only for regularity and orthogonality in the configuration
of pfSense interfaces - that is, the ability to treat them all equally...

And it was merely a mild suggestion, not even a weak plea.   :-)

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: w...@umich.edu