On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:07 AM, Veiko Kukk <veiko.k...@krediidipank.ee> wrote:
> Bill Marquette wrote:
>>
>> Setup a load balancer entry with an active node and a failover node.
>
> As I previously said, I dont want load balancing, I only need failover.

duh, what do you think this provides? Rhetorical question, obviously
you think a load balancer pool of ONE entry and a failover entry
somehow magically balances multiple entries.

> If wan fails then opt1 is used until wan returns. As simple as that. How to
> configure pfsense to accomplish that?
> Currently I'm having one failover pool (Type: Gateway; Behavior: Failover):
> wan|wan gateway
> opt1|opt1 gateway

yup, that's it.

>> Use that entry as your gateway in your rules.
>
> I have one firewall rule for LAN to accept all traffic from one host in LAN
> and gateway is that pool.

good

>> It's really not rocket science.
>
> I'm still unable to get packages list in pfsense web interface, thought I'm
> able to ping outside world from that one LAN host.
> When I ping google.ee from command line, I get:

And we finally get to your misunderstanding.  Failover is for traffic
routed _through_ pfsense.  During a failover situation as you've
described, pfsense itself will not have a route to the internet.